Happy Baby Goat Day!

Okay. I totally made that up. But I think it makes for a great precursor to Mother’s Day, don’t you think? Maybe we could call it “Get-smashed-on-mimosas-over-brunch Eve” but that just doesn’t have the same ring to it. And you wouldn’t get to look at pictures of cute baby goats.

I actually took these photos a couple days ago (blame my dial-up internet) and all three kids have since been dehorned/disbudded. I had a real nice lady come out and show me how to do it. Basically, you take this hot iron (glorified car cigarette lighter) and burn the skin around where the horn bud is beginning to emerge. The cap of the horn pops off, and then you cauterize the center of the horn bud. The tip of the day: anywhere there is hair, a horn can grow through. This was just one of those things you have to watch first-hand. Books and youtube won’t cut it. But it’s done and I won’t have dangerously horned dairy goats.

Now they have purple heads from being sprayed with disinfectant, but here are some cute play photos from earlier in the week… Pre-purple.

   

                          

Four Hands and a Pair of Fiskars

With Trevor’s help, I sheared the sheep the other day. I got through Inga and then only halfway done with Bolverk before I realized I could barely stand up. All of that hunching over really upset my back. With our recent 80 degree weather, I decided the sheep would probably appreciate a haircut. 

Since I started this shearing project a little on-the-fly, I didn’t have any sheep shears… so I used some orange handled Fiskars scissors. It’s what I do with the rabbits.For the most part they look good, but poor Bolverk looks a little odd. Cami says he “has his shirt off” and is “wearing puffy pants”. Sure, Cami, sure.

I’ll have to weigh what each of my adults gave me once I finish Bolverk’s haircut.

   

   

Baby Photo Bonanza!

I took lots of photos of the baby goats this morning and even snuck in a couple of our fat baby sheep, Lambikins. Cami seems to think we should name the lamb “Gretel”. Trevor thinks she needs a real name. But “Lambikins” is kind of growing on me. 

As for the goat kids, I think we will be selling everyone except for one buckling. There aren’t too many people around here that are willing to stud out Nigerian Dwarf bucks (or perhaps there simply are not many). Most people in this county have Boer meat-breed goats, not dairy goats. The down side of needing to breed Nigerians is that they are so small. You can’t just breed them to anyone– you need a buck that is the same size breed or smaller.

So I will plan to keep back a buckling to breed to everyone, even Heidrun… for Mini-Toggs? Dwarf Toggs? Toggendwarfs?

   

                 

Bridgit Had Triplets!

Sunday afternoon Bridgit kidded triplets! I knew there had to be more an just twins in there, she was a blimp. I was able to witness my first goat birth as well. It was creepy, but awesome! Basically, there is a lot of gross, slimy stuff you don’t want to know about, then this big blob comes out. Once Bridgit started licking the blob, it moved! All of the sudden it started looking more like a goat kid and less like a blob. Almost as if definition came to its face  and legs and body as I watched it. Like I said, creepy, but awesome.

Now we’re just waiting for Luna to kid hers.

   

Tan buck.

  

Tan and white, Buck.

  

Black and white, doe.

 

Buildin’ a Cob Oven

Today we are working on our new cob oven. Most of it will be the same as our last cob oven design, as far as the size. This time, however, we are building it from natural clay, instead of man-made “fire clay”, and we are building the base structure larger so we can fit plates or a cutting board on it without needing an additional table. Our base is constructed of old bricks that used to make a path leading to the side door on the house. When we first moved in a year ago, we moved most of the bricks to form a new path leading to the front door; a much more natural looking pathway.

All we need to do now is: fill in the base with fire-proof material, top it all off with a layer of brick to form the top of the “box” base, then construct a form out of sand, layer on the cob (clay and chopped straw mix), let it dry, scoop out the sand, and call it done. Easy peasy.

I’m thinking of using some of my scrap tile to make a design on the cob oven.